This event is under the auspices of SIOG.
This course, led by SIOG member, Dr. Raúl Córdoba Mascuñano, is the first initiative carried out in Spain in the field of assessment of the elderly patient with blood diseases, both neoplasms and benign pathology. This course is aimed at hematologists, both medical specialists and doctors in training who are in the last 2 years of the MIR (Spanish medical residence system). Its realization will be totally online, and it can be taken over a period of 1 year, being totally flexible when it comes to doing it. The course will be organized in 10 modules coordinated by hematologists and geriatricians of recognized prestige in the field of Hematogeriatrics.
The Teaching Objectives are as follows:
- Understand the relevance of aging in the Spanish population and its relationship with the increase in blood diseases in elderly patients.
- Discover the biological characteristics associated with aging and how they can impact on hematological diseases.
- Know the tools that we have in the evaluation of frailty and comorbidity in the elderly patient with blood diseases.
- Analyze the specific characteristics of hematological diseases in the elderly.
The Content Index is as follows:
- Module 1. General. Population aging. Incidence and prevalence of hematological diseases in old age. Esperanza Lavilla. Hematology service. Lucus Augusti Hospital. Lugo
- Module 2. Assessment of fragility and comorbidity. Comprehensive Geriatric Assessment. Javier Martínez. Geriatrics Service. Rey Juan Carlos Hospital. Móstoles
- Module 3. Characteristics of lymphomas in elderly patients. Raúl Córdoba. Hematology Service. Jiménez Díaz Foundation Hospital. Madrid
- Module 4. Characteristics of multiple myeloma in elderly patients. Belén Íñigo. San Carlos Clinical Hospital. Madrid
- Module 5. Characteristics of CLL and other chronic lymphoproliferative syndromes in elderly patients. Carol Moreno Hospital of Santa Creu and Sant Pau. Barcelona. Ernesto Pérez Persona. Araba University Hospital. Vitoria-Gasteiz
- Module 6. Characteristics of myelodysplastic syndromes and AML in elderly patients. Joan Bargay Son Llátzer Hospital. Majorca
- Module 7. Characteristics of chronic myeloproliferative neoplasms (including CML) in elderly patients. Concepción Boqué. ICO Duran i Reynals Hospital. L’Hospitalet de Llobregat
- Module 8. Hemostasis and thrombosis in elderly patients. Asunción Mora Casado. San Carlos University Clinical Hospital. Madrid
- Module 9. Supportive treatment in the elderly patient (includes transfusion, iron chelation and growth factors). Mónica Ballesteros. Gregorio Marañón Hospital. Madrid
- Module 10. Geriatric intervention (includes exercise, nutrition, social services). Maite Antonio. Onco-hematogeriatrics coordinator. Catalan Institute of Oncology. Barcelona
- Module 11. Anemia in the elderly patient (NEW MODULE). Salvador Payán. Hospital Virgen del Rocío. Seville.
- Theoretical content
- Clinical cases
- Evaluation tests
- Additional resources (Recommended readings, Links of interest, etc.)