Young SIOG Interest Group
Young SIOG is a SIOG Interest Group that was recently established by young clinicians and researchers, members of SIOG, who are working in the field of geriatric oncology. Young SIOG reaches out to all young clinicians and researchers who work in all disciplines that deal with cancer in older patients.
Young SIOG is a SIOG interest group and targets SIOG members who are:
- Young / new in the field of geriatric oncology
- And / or working as a trainee in any discipline that is involved with treatment of older cancer patients (e.g. surgery, radiotherapy, medical oncology, urology, pulmonology, hematology...)
- And / or PhD student, postdoctoral fellow or researcher Young SIOG welcomes all SIOG members who feel addressed by these terms, and does not work with an upper age limit.
Goals of Young SIOG
In view of identifying, reaching out to and training the next generation of geriatric oncology experts of the society, in line with SIOG 3 strategic directions, the Young SIOG Interest Group has developed a preliminary strategic plan for the next 2 years. The main goals of the interest group are:
2. Communication & Advocacy: Young SIOG aims at establishing a network of young researchers and clinicians in the geriatric oncology field, and to enthuse young researchers and clinicians outside of SIOG for the field of geriatric oncology
3. Research: Young SIOG aims at creating a platform of young researchers in which international collaborations can be established. Furthermore, Young SIOG aims at facilitating mentorship of young researchers by more experienced researchers in the geriatric oncology field.
The aim of this permanent interest group is:
- to provide a forum for young researches in geriatric oncology to collaborate, share challenges and concerns, and identify areas of interest
- to help identify topics of interest for future SIOG meetings and educational events, specifically for young members,
- to provide exposure of young researchers and young clinicians of all disciplines to SIOG
- to improve active participation of young members of SIOG
- to advocate geriatric oncology outside of SIOG and thereby increase awareness and interest of other young clinicians and researchers in all disciplines that deal with cancer in older patients
Interest Group Leadership 2016-2018
The Committee of the Young SIOG interest group shall be composed of:
- Nienke de Glas (Netherlands) -- Chair
- Nicolò Matteo Luca Battisti (Italy) -- Vice-Chair
- Capucine Baldini (France) -- Member
- Mandy Kiderlen (Netherlands) -- Member
- Melissa Loh (Malaysia & USA) -- Member
- Vacant position
- Laurence Verhagen (Switzerland) -- ex-officio – non-voting - as SIOG Chief Executive Officer
The leadership of Young SIOG will organize the activities of Young SIOG. SIOG members can join Young SIOG by sending an e-mail through the head office ( email@example.com ) or by joining through LinkedIn and on Facebook.
Young SIOG Activities
Join the Young SIOG on-line community - Benefit from an international and vibrant network - Participate in its activities…
- Join the Young SIOG community through the LinkedIn Group and Facebook Group and which can be accessed by all SIOG members. The group will serve as a platform in which e.g. research proposals, clinical issues and other experiences can be discussed.
- Participate in the annual survey among young SIOG members, in order to express your needs and communicate your ideas.
- Contribute to our regular communications and encourage senior SIOG members to bring their young associates to
- Contribute and attend the SIOG Annual Conference during which 2 dedicated Young SIOG sessions are scheduled: Submit an abstract for the Young SIOG Investigator Award session.
- Strengthen our community and attend the Young SIOG networking event organized during the SIOG Annual Conference.
- Support us in developing a collaboration with similar interest groups within other cancer related societies (eg: ESMO, ASCO, etc)